New Online Application System
Instructions for obtaining a Firearms ID card or Permit to Purchase a Handgun
- Complete your application on-line at https://njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
- Raritan Township Police Department’s ORI number is NJ0102100
**If an incorrect ORI number is entered on the form, you will NOT receive a firearms ID card or a permit to purchase a handgun. You will then have to re-apply using the correct ORI number and pay for the process again. A refund will NOT be issued.
- You may utilize either a smartphone, mobile device or computer to complete the process. Once your application is completed the Raritan Township Police Department will be notified and a background check will be conducted.
- Application fee: $21.00
- Initial Firearms Identification Card: $5.00
- Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun: $2.00 for each permit
- Change of Address, Change of Name, Lost or Stolen ID card: No Fee
- Either a personal check or money order (payable to: Raritan Township) is needed. Cash or Credit Card will NOT be accepted. Payments can be submitted at the time you pick up your Firearms ID card and/or Permits to Purchase Handgun
** A Firearms ID card does not expire though it must be replaced if you change your address, name or the ID card is lost/stolen or mutilated. Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun are valid for 90 days from the date of issue. If necessary, a 90-day extension is available by physically submitting the permit(s) to police headquarters.
** You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the background process.
** Once your application is completed, a representative from the Raritan Township Police Department will contact you to retrieve either your Firearms ID card and/or Permits to Purchase Handguns.
** Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to expedite your background application.
** Please ensure that both yourself and your references provide the correct information on the application. If a mistake is made, the application will no longer be able to be processed which you, the applicant, will have to resubmit the firearms application and again pay the required $21.00.
** If you have not been contacted by a representative from the Raritan Township Police Department then your application is still in progress. An applicant DOES NOT need to contact the police department for any updates. If there are any questions or concerns regarding an applicant’s application, a representative will contact the applicant.
** The monetary amounts listed are through the State of New Jersey, not through the Township of Raritan. The payable amounts are all sent to the state and not directed by this department.
Any inquiries on the application process or background investigations may be directed to Dsg. Garbolino or Dan Campbell at (908)782-8889.